Have you got some land? Do you have a log stove or biomass boiler? If you can answer yes to both questions then you should consider growing your own woodfuel.
Crops for Energy sell kits with all the materials you will need to grow your own mini woodland. Our kits come in a range of sizes to suit all budgets and plantation sizes. By dividing your plantation into four sections and harvesting in rotation, you will have a ready supply of logs year after year. All are available for planting out during dormancy from November to March.
Kits come in four sizes:
- Starter – requires 25 square metres (i.e. 6 x 4 m) and should produce up to 0.1 to 0.15 tonnes of air dried wood when harvested in quarterly blocks annually.
- Small – requires 50 square metres and should produce up to 0.2 to 0.3 tonnes of air dried wood when harvested in quarterly blocks annually.
- Medium – requires 100 square metres and should produce up to 0.4 to 0.7 tonnes of air dried wood when harvested in quarterly blocks annually.
- Large – requires an area of a quarter of an acre and should produce up to 1 to 1.75 tonnes of air dried wood when harvested in quarterly blocks annually.
Each kit contains:
- Polypropylene ground cover sheet
- Pegs to hold the ground cover sheet in place
- 85 – 1125 rooted hybrid willows 60cm tall (depending on the size of kit)
- 15 – 75 rooted ash saplings (depending on the size of the kit)
- Planting and harvesting instructions
Prices range from under £100 to over a £1000.
Crops for Energy also sell biomass willow cuttings and rods for larger plantations. Sufficient cuttings to hand plant a 1 hectare planting of willow (15,000 plants/ha) would cost around £1500 whereas sufficient rods to machine plant a 10 hectare plantation would cost under £10,000. 50% establishment grants through the Energy Crops Scheme are available for plantings over 3 hectares.
If you are interested in growing your own woodfuel please call 0844 2492901 or send an email